After spending 2 months in Buenos Aires, it's time to move to Rio de Janeiro for 3 months and teach the kids in one of the favelas in Rio. I loved BA, dulce de leche and mate' but the charity tour must go on !!!
I use the money for my plane fare for a good cause and have no money left so I can only afford a bus ticket and the trip from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro takes almost 48 hours. By the time I reach Rio, my bum is flat like a pancake !
Am I scared ? Of course I'm crapping my pants as always ! Some people think I'm a brave lady but I'm not. I don't have a place to live and I find one at the last minute. As my budget is always low, I think I might end up moving to the red light district of Rio where the accomodation is cheap. Instead of fit guys dancing capoeira, I will see hookers in fishnets and push-up bras surrounded by guys swiping their mastercards between the buttocks of the "working girls" and trying to get some cash back too - This is the craziest year of my life. One journey, so many destinations to reach and so many kids to meet. I'm alone, scared but curious, happy and determined to help people who are less fortunate than me and most of all to put a smile on people's faces and everyone I meet during my journey. I´m stubborn, sarcastic, outspoken and I hate the verb CAN´T but I´m affectionate , positive and always smiling so I have a feeling that I will be fine.
I start helping the kids of the Otoni favela in Santa Teresa ( Rio de Janeiro) and rent a room in a nice place ten minutes walk from the charity. The kids are lovely and very affectionate. Although my portuguese makes the chickens laugh cause I'm rubbish and if I try to dance samba they will call the paramedics cause they think I'm having a stroke, it's an honour to be part of their projects and their community. I can't believe how many incredible people I've met during this charity tour, they keep surprising me, inspiring me and making a priceless contribution to my life and this journey. This year is like a tattoo in my heart and mind, nothing and nobody will be able to erase what my eyes have seen, what my ears have heard and what my heart has felt ....
I use the money for my plane fare for a good cause and have no money left so I can only afford a bus ticket and the trip from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro takes almost 48 hours. By the time I reach Rio, my bum is flat like a pancake !
| still alive after 30 hours on a bus to Rio , 16 hours to go |
| Copacabana - Rio |
I start helping the kids of the Otoni favela in Santa Teresa ( Rio de Janeiro) and rent a room in a nice place ten minutes walk from the charity. The kids are lovely and very affectionate. Although my portuguese makes the chickens laugh cause I'm rubbish and if I try to dance samba they will call the paramedics cause they think I'm having a stroke, it's an honour to be part of their projects and their community. I can't believe how many incredible people I've met during this charity tour, they keep surprising me, inspiring me and making a priceless contribution to my life and this journey. This year is like a tattoo in my heart and mind, nothing and nobody will be able to erase what my eyes have seen, what my ears have heard and what my heart has felt ....
| Lela with the kids from the Otoni favela - Rio de Janeiro The treasure hunt organised by Lela was a funny event and this time there were no losers, only winners ! |
No comments:
Post a Comment