Tuesday, 26 April 2011

When Loris and Lela met Betty ....

It´s the 1st of March and I´m in Cusco . I love this place.
Cusco
Its good M couldn´t change my bus ticket cause the lady from Tour Peru´tells me that the bus which left in the morning had an accident due to the heavy rain and 2 people are dead ! We are not travelling with the double decker bus anymore as it is too windy and dangerous so we are using the normal bus.
I will need to sit for over 8 hours in a seat the size of a crisp and I´m sure my genitals will look like a squeeze box once again by the time I get to Cusco.
I take my seat and need to put my legs behind my head to be able to sit. A guy sits next to me and we start chatting. His name is Loris and he´s from Switzerland and he speaks Italian. We spend hours talking and laughing.
We are both doing Machu Picchu and off to Bolivia after that.
We reach Cusco at 4:30am and we take a taxi to the city centre together . We both don´t have a place to sleep so I take my lonely planet book and ask the taxi driver to take us to Walkon Inn but when we reach the place, the guy tells us that its fully booked  so we decide to go and have a coffee until the shops are open as it is 5am only.
We drink a coffee and as we are walking in the main square to call few places, a lady called Betty approaches us saying that she has a nice hostel 5 minutes from the main square.
We follow the woman and we meet her ex hubby Jimmy, we go to their hostel and Loris and I take a room each. The place is not Sheraton but its 20 soles and its a couple of minutes from the centre.
Loris and I get on well, we visit Cusco together and we go for breakfast at Panam and boy we do love their pastries and cappuccinos !

Panam Coffee Shop  - Cusco
We continue to visit Cusco, go for a nice ice tea together and then for lunch. We eat ceviche and walk until late afternoon.
We go back to " Señora Luisa´s hostel where Betty finds clients for her and I end up chatting to my friend Emy  for ages while Loris goes to the net cafe´.
Around 8pm Loris knocks my door and asks me if I fancy going to eat something together.
We go to Trattoria Adriano and order a pizza, we talk and laugh until midnight and then we go back "home".
I´m visiting Cusco one more day before trekking Machu Picchu while Loris is going tomorrow morning . Betty and Señora Luisa are renting the entire hostel to some travellers so they find me a room at the Hotel Mirador for the same price . I leave my bags in the hotel and Loris and I go to our favourite place for breakfast Panam.
We take cappuccinos, croissants and other pastries. I pay for our brekfast and agree to meet in Bolivia for something to eat again.
We say goodbye and I go to find myself a pair of gloves and a warm hat cause Machu Picchu will be cold.
I´m glad I met Loris, he´s a lovely guy and we had a good laugh together so I hope we will meet again.
My friend Emy saves my ass once again and he´s kind enough to lend me the remaining balance I owe the agency for my trek. I will be trekking Machu Picchu for 4 days and I have no trekking shoes and I´m the unfittest person on the planet.


Cusco
I´m trekking Señor Picchu with my green all stars and hoping that Chuck Taylor is going to bring me luck. I´m travelling light once again, 3 pairs of knickers, my camera and my sleeping bag.
My knickers are getting heavier and heavier, I´m bloody scared but I get this feeling from time to time and somehow I get a kick out of this and it all works out at the end !
Am I a saddo or just curious and wants to push myself outside my comfort zone and see how strong I really am ?
I don´t know but this journey is like me .... crazy, disorganised, unforgettable and unique !!!!



tram in Cusco


No comments: