Grandparents can become quite competitive when describing how bright and skillful their grandchildren are and if you are part of an Italian family well the art of exaggeration is in our DNA.
You will often hear an Italian say: man, I went fishing and I caught a whale ! mean while it was a goldfish and the only reason why it was caught , well it was because the fish had lost the will to live !
My mother is talking to my auntie Rosaria who has 2 granddaughters like her, my mother starts saying: my granddaughters are so smart, they could walk by the age of 3 months and could talk in a very articulate way. Listen Rosaria, if those 2 little girls could speak fluent Greek, they could give Aristotle a good run for his money.
Ok, the bit about talking was not completely untrue but we all talk too much at home so no wonder these 2 kids were like parrots from a tender age. Rosaria like a good gladiator, gave a quick look to the crowd ... mainly pictures of me and my sisters wearing the Laura Ingalls collection my mother loved to sew and forced us to wear. To add insult to the injury, my dad was crazy about long hair so the 3 of us looked like red indians , I was "light feather" cause I was so skinny that if I would go against the sun light I could have an X-ray free of charge, Dany was "cow lying down" cause she was always lying down on the couch until she had her bum flat like a holy host and my sister Mony was "strong wind" cause she was always out catching birds no matter if there was a flipping hurricane or a damn whirlwind.
Auntie Rosaria feeling the competition, said well Maria my granddaughters by the age of 5 months could walk, talk and eat their meals on their own too.
Mother fuming like a kenwood steamer shouts back: well Rosaria, when my granddaughters were 6 months old, they were independent ! I used to give my granddaughters 10 euros and they would go out and buy whatever they felt like eating !
First round:
Maria 1 - Rosaria 0
No comments:
Post a Comment